Monday, October 18, 2010

A Bountiful Harvest

Today went by fast.  Mondays never do that, what a treat!  I was busy all day at work, when I wasn't staring out the window at the cozy and comforting gray, rainy day that made me want to curl up on a couch with a blanket and a good book.


I love my office window.  It's good for daydreaming.

Today was CSA pick-up day and the harvest was bountiful this week!  Apples, oranges, pears, limes, tomatoes, potatoes, kale, red peppers, carrots, lettuce, avocados, zucchini, broccoli, and beets.  WHEW!  I had planned on just having a frozen Amy's for dinner, but with all this lovely produce, I was inspired to make a stir-fry.  

I cut some super firm tofu up into bite-size pieces, marinated it in a combo of soy sauce, sesame oil and garlic powder for about an hour and threw some brown rice in the rice cooker.  While that was all taking care of itself, I chopped up an onion, a carrot, broccoli, kale, red pepper, zucchini, walnuts, garlic and the mushrooms I got from the Farm Tour Saturday, and stir fried it all up in sesame oil and soy sauce.  After an hour of marinading, the tofu went in a 375-degree oven for 20 minutes.  Once everything was done, I threw it all together and finally sat down for dinner 2 hours after I started it.  Oh my YUM!  Lunches this week are going to be good.


I'm grateful for the pleasure that cooking gives me.  When I'm serious about cooking, I cook in silence... no TV, no music.  I pay full attention to the ingredients and to the sounds of preparation.  The chop of the knife, the slice of the mandolin, the sizzle of the oil when you put garlic and onion in the pan, the roar when you add everything else.  My favorite sounds.

(N)SD!

No comments:

Post a Comment