Friday, October 15, 2010

Sugarless Mentor Continues To Inspire


I don't know the name of the woman who writes the My Years Without Sugar blog that I'm following in a parallel-like fashion for inspiration in my own quest to become sugar-free, I can't seem to find it.  So, henceforth, I shall refer to her as Sugarless Mentor.


On January 15, 2008, the 15th day of Sugarless Mentor's journey, she posted this:


10 Side Effects of NOT Eating Sugar 

  1. I feel superior.
  2. I am saving money. Junk food adds up.
  3. I have lost some weight.
  4. Discussing my sugar-free diet with people has inspired others to go without sugar, and in turn that re-inspires me to continue to go without sugar.
  5. Willpower! I have more willpower in other areas of my life, now: exercising, cleaning house regularly, being patient in traffic, etc.
  6. I am inspired to eat healthier in general--more whole foods, less packaged.
  7. I am trying new foods, new ingredients, new recipes.
  8. My energy level is awesome!
  9. I don't have white sugar cravings! In other words, I don't need a Snickers bar or a donut to feed my sweet tooth. If my sweet tooth acts up, a little honey in my tea actually satisfies. Unbelievable!
  10. My husband is proud of me.
Let's see how my journey stacks up, shall we?
  • I feel superior. 
    • This is very true.  ;)  But some would argue that I didn't need this sugarless journey to feel that way. Heh Heh.  (Please!  I'm joking.)
  • I am saving money. Junk food adds up.
    • YES!
  • I have lost some weight.
    • NO!  I totally expected to lose weight as a side effect of this, but it ain't happening.  I'm trying super hard not to be disappointed, because that wasn't the primary reason for doing this, but... really?  I mean, REALLY???  I have the metabolism of an ox.
  • Discussing my sugar-free diet with people has inspired others to go without sugar, and in turn that re-inspires me to continue to go without sugar.
    • I don't think I've inspired people to go without sugar, but I have inspired them to avoid me when they see me walking down the hall.  I think perhaps I talk about it too much.
  • Willpower! I have more willpower in other areas of my life, now: exercising, cleaning house regularly, being patient in traffic, etc.
    • Yeah, right.
  • I am inspired to eat healthier in general--more whole foods, less packaged.
    • I'm with her on this one.  As I learn more and more about food in general, where it comes from, how it's made, what's kept hidden from us, etc., etc., I'm motivated more than ever to eat whole, natural, organic foods only.
  • I am trying new foods, new ingredients, new recipes.
    • I've always done this.  It's my keen and wild sense of adventure.  Check.
  • My energy level is awesome!
    • I have most definitely noticed that I don't have the crazy energy level swings anymore.  No sugar means no sugar highs and no sugar lows.  I've been pretty even-keeled, which has been nice.
  • I don't have white sugar cravings! In other words, I don't need a Snickers bar or a donut to feed my sweet tooth. If my sweet tooth acts up, a little honey in my tea actually satisfies. Unbelievable!
    • YES, YES, YES!!!  Simply amazing!  Yesterday at work, I was invited to eat some leftovers from a luncheon.  As I walked downstairs, I mentally rehearsed what I would do given the options that I would have when I got there.  "Leftovers from work events" usually equates to bagels, cream cheese and brownies.  In this instance, leftovers were salad, sandwiches, and the yummiest, gooiest pecan bars ever.  I saw the pecan bars and wasn't interested.  I actually *wanted* the cucumbers from the salad and proceeded to pick them all out of the lettuce and onto a plate.  Turns out, you *can* teach an old dog new tricks.
  • My husband is proud of me.
    • Well, if I had a husband (or a boyfriend), I'm sure he'd be proud of me.  But my friends are proud of me, and I'm proud of myself.
Okay, so I'm not keeping exact pace with Sugarless Mentor's progress, but I think I'm doing pretty darn good.  And I'm half-way there already!  What a ride.

Today's Thank You:


I'm grateful for having a wonderful boss (Andrina - in the middle between Gail and me just before our Volunteer Appreciation Reception started - from July).  Tomorrow is Boss's Day and so today, the entire staff of 20+ people surprised her with gifts and a lunch party at El Torito.  She is sincerely appreciated and adored by all of us.

(N)SD!

No comments:

Post a Comment