Saturday, October 23, 2010

Butternut Squash with Walnuts & Vanilla

I tried this new recipe today using the butternut squash I got from my CSA box last Monday.  



YUM!  I love it when a recipe comes out better than you expected.  This one's going in my "to make again" pile for sure.  First, you chop up your squash.


Then you coat it in olive oil & sprinkle with salt, and roast for 20 minutes.


Then you toast the walnuts and add the butter.  When the butter melts, add the squash and coat everything in the butter.  Then add the rest of the ingredients:  ginger, vanilla, lemon juice, thyme and black pepper.  And you're done!


I suggest using about 1/2 the butter that the recipe suggests.  I used three tablespoons, and it was really rich.  Tasty, for sure, but really rich.

My Thank You for today is related to this recipe.  I have very limited counter space in my kitchen, and it's always tricky to figure out how to display the recipe conveniently without it being in the way or spilling something on it.  Today, as I was looking around the kitchen, a light bulb finally went off!  The perfect solution:


Thank you, little red magnetic clippy thing and just-big-enough-hinge on the cabinet.  You've made my cooking life a whole lot easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment