Thursday, October 7, 2010

I Believe I Can Fly ... !




When I discovered the website 750 Words, I knew it was a site I'd love.  About a week in though, I found myself not knowing what to write about.  So I took a cue from the creative writing workshop at Squam and googled "writing prompts" to provide me with some first lines and kick start my writing.  This morning's prompt was "If I could fly, I would..."  Ugh!  How overdone!  Sometimes, I don't like my prompts, but I use them anyway because I usually end up liking where they take me.  For example:  


I used to roller blade every night after work - from my apartment, to Mission Bay, up the boardwalk, up Grand Avenue, and back to my apartment.  During the week in the evenings when it got dark early, I'd have it all to myself.  I didn't have to dodge pedestrians, children, dogs, skateboarders, bikers, surfers, tourists, etc.  I was strong and fit in those days and it felt like flying, blading as fast as I could, getting in that zone where you feel absolute control over every muscle, getting in that rhythm, finding comfort and power in the "swoosh...swoosh" sounds that the blades made.  Such a high!  That's what I imagine flying feels like.  Reliving those moments had a powerful effect on my motivation and commitment to staying sugar-free.  I will blade like that again.



(La Jolla Shores - I couldn't find a pic of my route, but same idea.)

If there's something you really want to be able to do or achieve, try this!  Run a movie in your head of you doing it and being successful at it and loving it!  It's amazing how powerful and motivated it makes you feel.  And strengthens your commitment, too.  It was just the boost I needed, and I'm so glad I did it, because... Today was the first day of my 30 Days of Yoga commitment, and let me just say, I'm grateful all the blinds were closed and that I was home alone.  This body needs some work!  I was falling all over myself, and laughing as I did... you gotta be able to laugh at yourself!


Thank You, Marianne!  For 30 Days of Yoga.  I'm grateful and inspired by your generosity, dedication, and enthusiasm.

(Naturally) Sweet Dreams!




No comments:

Post a Comment