Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Thank Heaven for Potato Nachos

I realized this morning that it hasn't even been a week yet.  What?  How is that possible?  I am happy to report, though, that today was much better than yesterday.  You just gotta hang in there... you gotta wanna, even when you don't wanna.  How many more times do you have to start over before you finally stick with it and see it through?  


Everyone has their own "last straw", their own "rock bottom" that finally pushes them to making that change they know they need to make.  My last straw was gaining all the weight back after going on an all-liquid diet...a diet which I didn't think I would ever try because it was too extreme.  But I got desperate.  So I did it.  And it worked.  I lost over 30 pounds in just a couple of months and had about 20 more to go when I just couldn't do it anymore.  I broke the rules and started eating again without the guidance of the weight-loss counselor; my bad eating habits came back faster than a bullet train and I gained all the weight back just as fast as I had lost it.  I stewed on this for a few months (no pun intended) as I shoved sugar cookie after sugar cookie into my mouth, and then finally accepted that I had to go to war with my dysfunctional addiction to sugar, head-on in the real world with real food.  


And now I'm here.  Six days sugar-free and as committed as ever.


Wow.  I didn't intend to share that much.  :)  Sorry if that was TMI.


So because I've had a couple of bad days, I decided that dinner needed to be an absolute treat.  Something sinfully indulgent, but sugar-free of course.  It turned out so good that I'm making it my Thank You for today:



Grateful that all of these ingredients are sugar-free!!!

Potato Nachos
Potato
Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
Salsa
Sour Cream
Avocado
Black Beans
Corn Tortillas (baked until crisp)

YUM

While I was waiting the 15 minutes for the tortillas to crisp in the oven, I crafted my first project - Fabric Wall Art - with some of the stuff I bought on Sunday.  This was the easiest, peasiest project ever and a great choice for a beginner:


All you need is some fabric, canvas, and a stapler.  Voila!  In less than the amount of time it takes corn tortillas to turn into corn chips, you have a beautiful piece of wall art.  And for cheap!  Bonus! 

3 comments:

  1. Actually, I did something very similar in the weight loss journey. I started a strict program were I had to eat their meals only and I dropped a lot of weight. 50 pounds even. And then one day I couldn't stomach one more of those meals in a box and started eating "real" food and gained it all back in what seemed like a few months. That was my realization that they are no quick fixes and I better figure this thing out as a life change. I understand the last straw!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks so delicious! I miss eating together with everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Retta... I think I've been on that same program, too. And quit for the same reason as you. Here, here to lifestyle changes! You seem to be doing very well, by the way, you ate so healthfully at Squam...I admired that as I downed macaroons.

    Meri... Ditto! We had some pretty good times at those tables. Plus the food was just outstanding.

    ReplyDelete